October 2000 has proven to be an especially active month for Arianespace, with a fast-paced Ariane 4/Ariane 5 launch schedule in Kourou, French Guiana and a series of launch contracts from prestigious international customers. The rest of the year will be equally busy, with another five launches on tap.
Global recognition for Arianespace
Washington, October 13, 2000 – Arianespace Chairman and CEO Jean-Marie Luton today announced a pair of new contracts for international launch services leaders N-Star C and Stellat.
Orbital Sciences Corporation and Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems of the United States – manufacturers of the N-Star C satellite for Japanese telecom giant NTT DoCoMo – have chosen an Ariane launch for the N-Star C mobile telephony satellite.
Alcatel Space has also chosen an Ariane launch for Stellat, a satellite it is building for a new joint venture formed by France Telecom and Europe*Star as part of a turnkey in-orbit delivery contract.
"These contracts clearly illustrate the European launcher’s leadership in the international launch services market," Luton said. "Ariane has been selected by leading space telecom manufacturers and operators in North America, Europe and Japan – once again showing that our launch service quality is recognized worldwide. Arianespace is extremely proud of its pivotal role in the development of this key sector of the global economy.
Mobile telephony bird for Japan
N-Star C will be launched by an Ariane in late 2001 or early 2002 from Europe’s Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana. It will be the 18th Japanese satellite to be launched by Ariane.
Lockheed Martin Commercial Space Systems of Newtown, Pennsylvania is prime contractor for the N-Star C satellite, supplying the payload and integration services. Orbital Sciences Corp. will provide the platform and ground facilities, and manage orbital positioning. Weighing approximately 1,600 kilograms at launch and fitted with S-band transponders, N-Star C will strengthen the ability of NTT DoCoMo to provide wireless telephone transmission services throughout Japan.
Stellat for France Telecom and Europe*Star
The Stellat satellite will be orbited by an Ariane launcher during the second half of 2002.
The satellite will be built by Alcatel Space using a Spacebus 3000 B3 platform. Weighing approximately 4,100 kilograms at launch, it will be equipped with 35 Ku-band and 10 C-band transponders and positioned at 5 degrees West. Stellat will bolster the video transmission and IP service capabilities of France Telecom and Europe*Star in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, in particular enabling Internet access with a satellite return channel.
Stellat is a joint venture formed by France Telecom, which owns 70 percent, and Europe*Star, which holds the remaining 30 percent. It will be part of the Loral Global Alliance, a consortium offering fixed communications services worldwide. The contract marks France’s Telecom’s ongoing commitment to the development of space-based telecommunications.
Arianespace’s order backlog rises to 50
With 21 contracts signed since the beginning of the year, Arianespace is consolidating its global leadership in the commercial space transport market. Arianespace’s backlog now stands at 41 satellites to be launched, plus 9 ATV missions for the International Space Station.
Including N-Star-C and Stellat, Arianespace has booked a total of 227 launch contracts since its creation 20 years ago.
A busy fourth quarter
Arianespace has performed eight launches since the beginning of the year, placing 11 satellites into orbit. Following Flight 133 on October 6 – the 57th successful Ariane 4 launch in a row – Arianespace plans five more launches by the end of the year.
The next two launches are:
Flight 134 (AR 44LP)- Europe*Star, October 27
Flight 135 (AR 507)- PAS 1R & Amsat P3D/STRV, November 14
The following three launches, using two Ariane 4s and one Ariane 5, will loft the satellites listed below:
Anik F1(Telesat, Canada)
Eurasiasat (Alcatel Space for Eurasiasat, Turkey)
Astra 2D (SES, Luxembourg)
GE-8 (GE-Americom, USA)