The Week Ahead | SpaceX launching Thaicom 8, NASA deploying ISS’s Bigelow module
The week ahead includes a Falcon 9 launch of the Thaicom 8 satellite, deployment of the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module that was delivered to the International Space Station in April, and continued congressional action on bills funding the U.S. Defense Department, NASA, NOAA and the FAA.
- Washington: NASA Administrator Charles Bolden will speak on “NASA and National Security” at the Mitchell Institute for Aerospace Studies Space Breakfast Series at 8 a.m. Eastern.
- Guiana Space Center, French Guiana: A Soyuz rocket is scheduled to launch two Galileo navigation satellites at 4:48 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: The Center for American Progress hosts a panel discussion on “Beyond the Moon,” featuring NASA astronaut Cady Coleman, at 10 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: The defense subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee will mark up its defense spending bill at 10 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: The full House Appropriations Committee will mark up its commerce, justice and science, and its transportation, housing and urban development appropriations bills, including NASA, NOAA, and the FAA, at 10:30 a.m. Eastern.
- Oxford, England: The 5th Interplanetary CubeSat Workshop features presentations on planned and proposed missions beyond Earth orbit using cubesats.
- Cape Canaveral, Fla.: The 44th Space Congress includes speakers from NASA, the Air Force and industry, with an emphasis on activities involving or affecting the Space Coast.
- Korolev, Russia: The IAA Human Space Exploration Conference includes a number of technical sessions about human spaceflight.
- Pasadena, Calif.: The Space Tech Expo includes sessions on government and commercial opportunities for the space industry.
- Houston: The New Views of the Moon 2 conference reviews the latest advances in studies of the moon.
- Ann Arbor, Mich.: The International Conference on Tethers in Space examines various applications for spacecraft tethers in Earth orbit and beyond.
- Kyoto, Japan: The TMT Science Forum provides updates on the development of the Thirty Meter Telescope and its science goals.
- Washington: The American Meteorological Society and the American Geophysical Union host a discussion on “Radio Spectrum for Earth Science: Protecting Lives, Property, and Commerce” at 12 p.m. Eastern.
- International Space Station: NASA will deploy the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) recently installed on the station, with a media teleconference to follow at 10 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: The full Senate Appropriations Committee will mark up a defense spending bill at 10:30 a.m. Eastern.
- Cape Canaveral, Fla.: A SpaceX Falcon 9 is scheduled to launch the Thaicom 8 communications satellite at 5:40 p.m. Eastern.
- Singapore: The MilSatCom Asia-Pacific conference provides updates on military satellite communications programs in the region.