The Week Ahead | House appropriators mark up NASA, FAA and DoD bills
The week ahead includes congressional action on three spending bills of interest to the space community plus continuation of the GEOINT 2016 Symposium in Orlando, the Humans to Mars Summit in D.C., and the National Space Society’s ISDC conference in Puerto Rico.
- Ottawa, Ontario: Navdeep Bains, the Canadian Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, will make an “important announcement” about human spaceflight to to the ISS at 9:45 a.m. Eastern.
- Orlando: The GEOINT 2016 Symposium includes speeches by NGA Director Robert Cardillo, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and NRO Director Betty Sapp. SpaceNews.com is providing special coverage of the show.
- Daejeon, South Korea: The 14th International Conference on Space Operations, organized by AIAA, features sessions on launch and spacecraft operations.
- Washington: The full House Appropriations Committee marks up a defense spending bill at 10:30 a.m. Eastern.
- Sydney: The Australasia Satellite Forum discusses various issues related to satellite communications.
- Washington: The Humans to Mars Summit conference by Explore Mars includes talks by NASA Deputy Administrator Dava Newman, author Andy Weir and Buzz Aldrin.
- Ottawa, Ontario: Astro 2016, the annual conference of the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, includes Canadian Space Agency President Sylvain Laporte and ESA Director-General Jan Woerner
- Washington: Transformers, a conference organized by the Washington Post, will include discussions of space travel that feature Andy Weir and NASA Administrator Charles Bolden.
- Washington: The House Appropriations commerce, justice and science subcommittee will mark up its spending bill, including funding for NASA and NOAA, at 10 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: The House Appropriations transportation and housing and urban development subcommittee will mark up its spending bill, including funding for the FAA, at 11:30 a.m. Eastern.
- Washington: NASA Langley Research Center Director David Bowles will speak at a Space Transportation Association luncheon on Capitol Hill.
- Washington: The House Science space subcommittee holds a hearing on “Next Steps to Mars: Deep Space Habitats,” featuring speakers from NASA and industry, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.
- Amsterdam: The 4th European Lunar Symposium includes talks on lunar science and future missions to the moon.
- Melbourne, Fla.: Florida Tech hosts the 8th conference of the International Association for the Advancement of Space Safety, with sessions on risk issues associated with launches and in-space operations.
- San Juan, Puerto Rico: The National Space Society’s International Space Development Conference features talks by former NASA Ames Director Pete Worden, Nanoracks Managing Director Jeff Manber and Blue Origin President Rob Meyerson.