With the cause of the Oct. 11 failure identified, crewed launches of Soyuz-FG launch vehicles are set to resume. The next launch is scheduled for Dec. 3
Despite concerns about quality control in Russia’s human spaceflight program in the wake of two incidents, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said he was confident the Soyuz would return to flight safely by the end of this year.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said Oct. 23 that he expects the next International Space Station crew to launch on a Soyuz spacecraft in December as an investigation into an aborted launch earlier this month wraps up.
Nick Hague thought he knew what to expect on his first flight into space — until the unexpected happened.
The final report into the launch failure that forced the abort of a crewed Soyuz spacecraft is scheduled for completion by the end of the month, the Russian state space corporation Roscosmos announced Oct. 20.
The NASA astronaut who was on the aborted Soyuz mission to the International Space Station says he has “complete confidence” in the Russians despite this launch failure and other problems and looks forward to flying again on the spacecraft.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said he believes launches of crewed Soyuz spacecraft will resume “on schedule” after last week’s launch failure, avoiding the possibility of leaving the International Space Station without a crew.
Roscosmos now says one of the Soyuz rocket’s four strap-on boosters failed to properly separate and nicked the core stage.
Members of an independent NASA safety panel said they were worried that the Oct. 11 Soyuz launch failure could make safety concerns with the agency’s commercial crew program even worse.
With Russia’s Soyuz spacecraft grounded for an indefinite period, NASA managers said Oct. 11 that they will look at ways to keep the current International Space Station crew in orbit for an extended period if needed.