Students entering space-related fields may want to study the new scholarships offered by The Planetary Society.Ê The Society will award two Planetary Society Scholarship for Space Studies each year for the next five years, beginning with the 2002-2003 school year.

Both high school seniors and full-time college students can apply for the $1000 scholarships.Ê Applicants must write a 500-word essay about how they plan to use the scholarship, and how that use will be related to the mission of The Planetary Society.

To be eligible to apply students must either be a member of the Society or nominated by a member of it.Ê They also need to submit the scholarship application and required materials no later than April 30, 2002.Ê

For more information about The Planetary Society’s new Scholarships for Space Studies, visit the Society’s website at or call Linda Wong at (626)793-5100.

The Society is also offering this year a full-tuition scholarship to the International Space University (ISU) Summer Session.Ê The scholarship is open to all candidates who have already been accepted to attend the 2002 ISU summer session, but who have not yet secured scholarships to cover their fees.Ê This year’s ISU summer session will be held in Pomona, California.

The Jim and Lin Burke Scholarship was named for James (Jim) and Lin Burke, long-time advocates and staff participants in the ISU summer session and active Planetary Society members.Ê Jim Burke, one of the pioneers of America’s space program, is the technical editor of the Society’s magazine, The Planetary Report.Ê The Jim and Lin Burke scholarship was made possible by a donation from ISU graduate, Eric Tilenius.



Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray and Louis Friedman founded The Planetary Society in 1980 to advance the exploration of the solar system and to continue the search for extraterrestrial life. With members in over 140 countries, the Society is the largest space interest group in the world.


For more information about The Planetary Society, contact Susan Lendroth at (626) 793-5100 ext. 237 or by e-mail at