SpaceNews provides this calendar as a free resource to our users. It is not maintained on a daily basis and some events may have changed or are no longer happening. Please double-check the event websites for the most up-to-date information.
Download our Industry calendar
- This event has passed.
Spaces for All Humankind: Facilitating Diverse & Inclusive Aerospace Events
Monday, August 3 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
“Diversity represents the full spectrum of human demographic differences—race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, or physical disability. Inclusion refers to a cultural and environmental feeling of belonging.” (Source: Gallup)
With the introduction of programs like the AIAA Diversity Scholars Program and the Brooke Owens Fellowship, the aerospace community is successfully increasing access to the industry by bringing in bright students from underrepresented and nontraditional backgrounds and ensuring they have a place and voice. How can we continue the positive momentum and expand the efforts of the community to include diversity in the aerospace industry? The goal of this roundtable discussion is threefold:
- Educate the community on what is currently being done to improve diversity and inclusivity.
- Reflect on the state of diversity and inclusion across the industry, including conferences, workshops, workplaces, and classrooms.
- Build actionable plans for how to continue to improve diversity and inclusion in the aerospace community, both on organizational and individual levels.
The community we would like to see at this event should include all of those who are interested in expanding their diversity and inclusivity initiatives to improve themselves and organizations/events they are leading now or in the future. This includes anyone from current students to the heads of organizations.
Organized by the Aerospace Diversity and Inclusion Task Force*
- Caroline Juang (Columbia University, she/her)
- Amy Huynh (UC Irvine, she/her)
- Khristian Jones (Brooke Owens Fellow Class of 2019, she/her)
- Chanel Richardson (Students for the Exploration and Development of Space, she/her)
- Anna Voelker (The Ohio State University Department of Astronomy, they/them)
- Michaela Deming (The Ohio State University Department of Astronomy, she/her)
- Rikhi Roy (Georgia Institute of Technology, Aerospace Systems Design Lab, she/her)