Following an acknowledgment of another deployment extension for the GPS 3 ground control network, the U.S. Air Force publicly and forcefully called on contractor Raytheon to put the program back on track.
Raytheon’s long-embattled ground control system for GPS is back on track following a government contract breach last year that prompted the U.S. Air Force to work with the company to revise the program’s budget and schedule, the program manager said.
The SM-3 Block 2A interceptor is a bigger and more capable version of the Raytheon-built SM-3 Block 1A and 1B interceptors.
The Pentagon gave the go-ahead to continue work on the troubled GPS ground system, saying that the restructured program is making progress on key milestones.
Harris Corp. on Sept. 28 said it delivered the first of 34 modernized satellite receivers to Raytheon for the next-generation GPS ground system Raytheon is developing for the U.S. Air Force.
A new missile co-developed by the United States and Japan is expected to face its first intercept test this October, the head of the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said Aug. 17.
The U.S. Missile Defense Agency exercised a contract option with Raytheon worth $523 million to build 47 Standard Missile (SM)-3 Block 1B interceptors, according to an Aug. 2 announcement from the Pentagon.
Tuesday's briefing begins with DoD’s top acquisition official saying meeting on the troubled GPS ground control system produced a "mixed bag" of results.
The U.S. Air Force said June 30 that a next-generation ground system to control GPS satellites is critically over budget and has triggered a cost-control measure that presumes the program to be cancelled unless the Secretary of Defense certifies it should continue.
Pentagon leaders say a new ground system for the next-generation of GPS satellites, one that has stymied Air Force officials and led to expensive cost overruns, is the Defense Department’s most troubled acquisition program.
Frustrated with progress on a new ground system for the next-generation of GPS satellites the Pentagon hopes to start launching just over a year from now, the U.S. Air Force awarded Lockheed Martin a $96 million contract modification Feb. 4 to adapt the existing ground system to serve as a stop-gap measure.
The U.S. Missile Defense Agency said it held a successful flight test of its ground-based interceptor on Jan. 28, as part of an effort to correct long-standing problems with the missile’s kill vehicle.
A new missile co-developed by the United States and Japan is expected to participate in two intercepts tests later this year, Raytheon executives said Jan. 13.
The Pentagon's acquisitions czar vowed "very intense management" of Raytheon Co's work on a ground control network for GPS satellites and said the department would revisit other options if Raytheon's performance did not improve.
The U.S. Missile Defense Agency awarded Raytheon a $2.3 billion contract modification to build as many as 52 Standard Missile (SM)-3 Block 1B interceptors.